Monday, January 16, 2012

Why I Stopped Stacking and Tilting

During my first few months of playing golf, I tried the Stack and Tilt swing method (Andy Plummer and Mike Bennett). I watched many of the related videos on youtube and bought the book. At first, the ideas I tried really seemed to help. But after about six months of struggle, I gave it up, even though I believed (and still believe) it's a valid way to swing the club, as many professionals have proven. Why did I surrender?

First, the book (still replete with many fine principles that can be applied to a more conventional swing pattern) is of limited usefulness to a beginning amateur like me. I did not purchase the videos; I can't vouch for how much they would have helped (or not).

Second, I believe the swing made my driver too steep. I'm still struggling with getting a high driver ball flight to this day.

Third, I realize that lessons would probably improve things, but there are NO authorized S&T instructors around here or in San Antonio, where I lived previously. I envy the amateurs who have had the privilege to learn from a real S&T instructor.

Still, aspects of the S&T swing remain in my swing, and I believe some of the aspects they teach are fundamentally sound. For example, why argue with the notion that staying more centered is a bad thing (something that Chuck Quinton or Sean Foley seem to teach as well)? And simply paying attention to what they say about the Ball Flight Laws will influence any golfer's swing.

And I have to admit that I admire anyone who is willing to rebel against the establishment and endure the backlash that follows. Andy, Mike, Chuck, and Sean have all done just that with their ideas that often collide with more conventional golf swing professionals.

No comments:

Post a Comment